• What are the 2-3 most important concepts that have impacted your thoughts on student engagement and retention during this course?

I am interested in the model of learning presented by the course based on interactions that include student/self, peer/peer, and teacher/self. I am particularly interested in how I as the instructor can open up opportunities for introductions and social interaction that will facilitate this model of learning.

• Discuss your rationale for implementing 1 or 2 course facilitation strategies to increase student retention and engagement.

As I am teaching asynchronous classes where students can drop in at any time and are therefore at different stages of progression I unfortunately do not have many opportunities to facilitate student to student interactions. However, I will try to facilitate interaction by creating an introduction video and by using the online forums.

• Identify 2-3 specific goals that you would like to achieve in light of what you have learned about social presence and creating effective educational media;
    • make sure that your goals areĀ SMART,
    • identify strategies you intend to use in order to meet your goals.

As I discussed in my learning activity portfolio, I am interested in making use of the online forums in my courses. This may include an introduction post, a forum for posting current events, and a forum to develop a toolkit for online learning.

• Think about some questions you still have with respect to student engagement and retention. Post these questions and also a strategy for finding the answers.

I’m curious to see how effective these goals will be as I currently only have 2 students active in one course and one lonely student in my second course. I really have questions about how to engage students in this situation where it really is primarily student-directed and motivated.