Cognitive presence is the idea that learning takes place by constructing meaning through communication, be it student to student, student to content or student to teacher. I was struck by the idea that asynchronous text-based learning can be more inclusive because it gives a larger number of students time to think and participate in a community of inquiry. When leading in-person discussion sections I have noticed that certain students can dominate discussions. I am excited by the idea that online teaching opens up new opportunities to accommodate students who are more comfortable communicating in different ways.

I also appreciate the idea of a triggering event as what sparks learning. As someone who teaches in the humanities I have noticed that students are sometimes resistant to following up on their own sense of being bothered or puzzled. Many are instead looking for the “right” answer in order to get a good grade. This opens up a question for me as a teacher: how can I help students feel comfortable being uncomfortable? This is the crucial first step before I can guide them through the exploration, integration, and resolution phases of critical thinking.